My Profile |

 

We aim to provide a high-quality professional life coaching service free of charge. We would like to invite you to join us in this wonderful journey of self-discovery. Excel in life - unleash your unlimited power.




How to use the Ripple Effect Principle to make a positive difference to the world?

Do you want to do something different in this world? Do you want to touch people’s lives in a special way? Yes off course we do. Don’t we? We want people to acknowledge our work. We want people to treat us with respect. And we also want to give something back to the world; we want our friends and families to feel proud of us. And when I use the word difference, I do not necessarily mean in a materialistic sense but in a wider context.

So, what exactly is making a difference to this world mean? Is it only the domain of celebrities or famous people who connect them to millions? Or can it happen in every little thing we do in our life? Does it mean we can touch everyone we meet in a special way?

We have our own belief systems. We have a unique way of looking at life, what is good or bad, or what is important to us. Let me tell you about myself. My idea of making a difference to this world was to help people to lead a blissful and harmonious life. And as far as I remember, I had this thought for many, many years. And I also had the problem of not knowing what to do, how to do it, or how to make a start. Did you ever face such a problem?

As I did not know the secret of making a difference, I used to think and make many plans and say to myself I will do this or I will do that. I am not saying this thinking did not help me but I was not achieving or doing much at a physical level. Whenever I used to say I want to do something for people my Dad used to say to me, “Charity begins at home.” He also said, “Start small, help yourself first, help people in the family, and make them happy.”

I think I did not take his words too seriously, and I suppose it was my immaturity as a youngster. We sometimes think that we are smarter than the older generation. Don’t we? I did not realise what he meant until few years from now. And I know and understand now that he was talking about the ‘Inside Out Approach’.

Have you ever noticed what happens when you throw a stone in a still water? We see the ripple effect in action, isn’t it? So, the ‘Inside Out Approach’ is nothing but the ‘Ripple Effect Approach'. So, if we want to make a difference to this world we need to follow the Ripple Effect Principle. And if we follow it diligently, we will continuously expand our centre of influence.

And the most important thing to remember, it starts with us, we have to make a difference to our life first. If we want to create, positivity in our life, we have to become positive first. If we want to influence and bring a positive change in someone else’s life, we have to change ourselves first. And the same natural law applies to creating abundance both material and spiritual. Now let me share with you another beautiful story about a Buddhist monk.

The story

One day after a big storm, a Buddhist monk went for a walk on the sea beach. As he was walking and enjoying himself, he suddenly noticed the sea waves have washed large amount of fish to the seashore. And as he watched, it made him feel bad, as most of them were dying because of dryness of the sand. So, he stopped and started to pick the fish that were alive, and put them back to the seawater one by one.

A fisherman who was also present there saw the monk, and found the monk’s behaviour little strange. So, he went and said to the monk, “There are thousands of fish on the seashore, and you cannot put all of them back to the sea. So, your effort of picking one fish at a time won’t make any difference.”

What do you think was the monk’s reply? Can you make a guess? So, the monk looked at the fisherman as he picked another fish and said to him, “I am going to make a difference to this fish right now.” The fisherman then realised what the monk meant so without making any more comments joined him to save the dying fishes.

Now that you have read the beautiful story I would ask you to take a moment, think what you have gained from this article, and how you can use it in your life. Also, please ask yourself: How can I use the ‘Ripple Effect Principle’ to make a positive difference to the world? Take care and may God bless.

posted by Debojit Chowdhury @ 1:39 PM,

3 Comments:

At February 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. As a husband, business owner, parent, personal growth teacher and healer, I certainly recognize that the biggest impact I can make on the world is by raising my children to be good people.

 
At February 07, 2007, Blogger Mahesha Iddagoda said...

This is a very inspiring article. One good deed multiplies. I remember in Kung Fu, Qwai Chang kain telling "if somebody helps one person, that person must help seven others and that seven others must help another seven others". You should write a book.

 
At April 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, this is great stuff! I agree completely. I have a post on a similar topic on my own blog, that ties this in to a levels of consciousness perspective as well.
http://www.urbanmonk.net/34/the-misery-and-world-peace-viruses/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free counter with statistics