My Profile |

 

We aim to provide a high-quality professional life coaching service free of charge. We would like to invite you to join us in this wonderful journey of self-discovery. Excel in life - unleash your unlimited power.




Be Inspired: The Story of the Woodcutter and the Indian Water God

I would like to share this beautiful short story with you told by my grandmother, when I was young, and lived-in India. She was an inspired woman and was a fountainhead of knowledge. The way she narrated something to us made her a star presenter. Her background was simple and interestingly she never completed her high school. I still remember we used to flock around her and she had a big fan following.

The Story:
Many, many years ago there lived a poor woodcutter in a remote village in India. Everyday he used to go to the jungles to cut wood, and he sold the wood in the village market to make a living. His good wife and his two young children were dependent on his income. Though he was poor, he was a happy man and people in the village liked him.

One day when he was cutting wood from a tree, his axe suddenly slipped his hand and fell in the lake below. The woodcutter became worried and did not know what to do. He came down the tree, and tried his best to find his axe, but the water in the lake was deep, so all his effort proved futile.

The woodcutter became distressed, as he did not have enough money to buy another axe. He knew that if he does not have an axe, he cannot make a living, and his family would suffer from hunger. Without seeing any hope to find his axe again, he sat down near the lake and started crying.

After hearing the woodcutter’s relentless cry, the ‘Water God’ felt sorry for him. He appeared before the woodcutter and said to him, “Son, why are you crying?” The woodcutter explained what had happened to him. The ‘Water God’ then said to the woodcutter, “Do not worry I will get your axe back” and after saying this the ‘Water God’ disappeared.

After a while, the ‘Water God’ appeared again before the woodcutter and showed him an axe made of silver, and asked him whether it was his axe. The woodcutter nodded his head and said, “My lord this is not my axe.”

So, the ‘Water God’ disappeared again and this time came back with an axe made of gold. When the ‘Water God’ asked the woodcutter again, the woodcutter nodded his head and replied, “My lord this is not my axe.”

So, the ‘Water God’ disappeared again and this time came back with an axe made of iron. When the ‘Water God’ asked him whether it was his axe, the woodcutter nodded his head and happily replied, “My lord this is my axe.”

Seeing the woodcutter’s honesty, the ‘Water God’ became pleased and gave the three axes to him, blessed him, and disappeared.

The woodcutter could not believe his eyes, and he quickly headed for home to share his experience with his wife. Thereafter he and his family lived happily.

Moral of the story: Honesty is the best policy.

posted by Debojit Chowdhury @ 9:21 AM,

6 Comments:

At December 11, 2006, Blogger TIM said...

I like the tale. Might use it in the classroom! Honesty is it's own reward, but it's nice to think that we might get silver and gold one day because of it!

 
At December 11, 2006, Blogger Debojit Chowdhury said...

Hi Tim, thanks for your lovely comment. I know if you use it in the class, students will love it because you are a wonderful teacher.

I can still remember the lesson I observed you when I was new at PHS. It is sad though that you are leaving us.

You are a wonderful man.

God bless

 
At December 11, 2006, Blogger TIM said...

Thanks Debojit. Good stories are very useful in a classroom, to finish a lesson off, or start one. Why don't you tell a few classes this story yourself. I'm gonna give it a shot too!

 
At December 12, 2006, Blogger Debojit Chowdhury said...

Yes, I will use it in one of my lessons. That's a good idea.

Get well soon.

 
At December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these kinds of tales. Thank you for sharing it. I hope you share more.

 
At December 16, 2006, Blogger Debojit Chowdhury said...

Hi Mary, thanks for your post. I am glad that you liked the story. I have never read this story it was told by my grandmother. I will write similar inspirational stories in future and I am sure you will love them.
God bless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free counter with statistics